This sauce is delicious served with barbequed steak or poached chicken and salad ingredients such as mixed salad leaves, finely sliced cabbage, grated carrot, tomatoes, cucumber, Spanish onion etc. To add extra crunch use fried noodles or crushed peanuts, and to increase the flavour add fresh coriander and mint leaves, and/ or finely sliced kaffir lime leaves. It can also be served with Vietnamese spring rolls as a dipping sauce. It is delicous!
Ingredients – Version 1
- 4 tbs fish sauce
- juice from 2 limes
- 2 tsp soft brown or palm sugar
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- Mix all ingredients together, ensuring the sugar is dissolved.
Ingredients – version 2
- 3 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- Mix liquids together with brown sugar until dissolved. Add chilli and garlic, then taste for seasoning. There should be a good balance between hot, sour, salty and sweet.