I made this recipe yesterday and it was delicious. I substituted some of the honey for golden syrup because I didn’t have quite enough, and also used almonds instead of macadamias because I didn’t have any. It still tasted beautiful!
- 125g butter, chopped
- 1 1/4c honey
- 2 1/2c self raising flour
- 1 1/2tsp mixed spice
- 220g grated carrot (3 or 4)
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 3/4c macadamia nuts, chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2c smooth ricotta cheese
- 70g butter, softened
- 2 tbs honey
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 26cm round cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Melt butter and honey in a saucepan, stirring until combined. Leave to cool.
- Sift the flour and mixed spice into a large bowl. Add the carrot, banana, macadamias, egg and honey mixture stirring until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a prepared tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, beat ricotta, butter and honey with electric beaters for 2-3 minutes or until light and creamy. Spread the icing over the top of the cake.