Mum and I have made this recipe before and substituted marinated artichokes which were also delicious. Obviously, they don’t need to be pre-cooked! If using marinated artichokes I would suggest cooking the artichokes, spring onion, bacon and chicken together for about 30 minutes, instead of one hour.
- 6 chicken breast fillets
- 1 lemons, halved
- 2 globe artichokes
- 5 bacon rashers, rind and excess fat removed, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, stems trimmed to 10cm lengths and halved lengthways
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, extra, cut into wedges to serve
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 large green chillies, chopped
- 1/4tsp ground tumeric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200C. Brush a large roasting pan with oil.
- Place harissa ingredients (minus oil) into the bowl of a food processor and proecss until finely chopped. Add oil in a thin stream and process until it forms a paste.
- Put the harissa in a bowl with the chicken and toss to combine. Place in fridge until required.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil with the lemon halves.
- Trim each artichoke stem to 6cm. Peel away 2 layers of outer leaves. Cut each in half and remove choke (the furry part) near the base of the leaves. Place artichokes immediately into a saucepan of boiling water and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until almost tender. Drain artichokes.
- Spread artichoke halves, bacon and spring onions over the base of the greased pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes. Place the chicken on top of the artichokes and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through.
- Delicious served with boiled potatoes and additional steamed vegetables if desired.