- 1 kg oyster blade steak
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 tbs flour
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs each of vinegar,Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce
- 1 oz soft butter
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tbs flour
- 3/4 cup each of red wine and water or beef stock
- 1 french stick
- 1 oz butter extra, 2tbs each of Dijon and Hot English mustard
- Cut meat into even sized cubes. Combine sugar, s & p, stock cube, flour, nutmeg, peeled and finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce, spoon over meat, cover, leave to marinate an hour.
- Heat butter and oil in a casserole dish and add meat and marinade, cook 5 mins.
- Stir extra flour into pan drippings, cook 30 seconds. Stir in wine and water, stir until sauce boils and thickens. Cover and bake in 160C oven for at least 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Cut French stick into 1 inch slices. Combine mustards and butter and spread on both sides of the bread. Place slices on top of casserole and push down to soak up some of the juices. Return to moderate oven, cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until top is brown and crisp. Serves 4.
2 responses to “Gourmet Beef Casserole”
[…] You can find the recipe here. […]
My husband and I made this for dinner at the weekend. All the family loved it, for certain I will be offering it frequently now, it is pleasing to find brand new ideas for recipes and also straightforward approaches to make them. Thanks for posting them.