- Melted butter to grease
- 40g butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup thin cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Brush four 3/4 cup ramekins with butter.
- Melt butter in saucepan until foaming. Add flour and mustard powder and cook for 2 minutes until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat. Gradually add half of the milk and whisk unt il smooth and then add remaining milk. Return saucepan to a medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 3-4 minutes until mixture thickens. Add 3/4 cup of the cheddar and egg yolks and stir until cheddar melts.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually combine both mixtures.
- Pour mixture into ramekins and place in roasting tray. Pour enough boiling water in the tray to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bank for 15 minutes until set.
- Increase temperature to 220 degrees. Invert souffles onto oven proof serving plates. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and seasoned cream. Banke in oven for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.