- 2/3 cup dried split red lentils
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 tbs balti curry paste
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup water
- 25 fresh curry leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1kg desiree or nicola potatoes, peeled, cut into 4cm chunks
- 3 tbs chopped fresh coriander
- Wash lentils in a sieve.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add onion and cook until it softens. Stir in the mustard seeds and cook until they begin to pop, add curry paste and garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add lentils, stock, water, curry leaves and pepper into the pan. Increase heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook, partially covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper and serve with coriander.
One response to “Potato and red lentil curry”
Thanks for sharing this recipe Sally, it’s simple and tasty!!