- 1 cup full fat milk
- 1 sachet yeast
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 2/3 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/4 chopped walnuts
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp grated orange rind
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- Warm the milk on high for 1 minute in microwave, then place in large mixing bowl. Whisk in yeast and honey and 2/3 of the wholemeal flour. Stand for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Add ginger, walnuts, salt, orange rind and olive oil to the yeast mixture and gradually incorporate the remaining wholemeal flour and all the white flour. When mixture becomes too stiff, remove from the bowl and knead in the rest of the flour.
- Roll dough into a 30x40cm rectangle, about 1/2cm thick. Allow to rest for 1 hour, covered.
- Bake bread for about 20 minutes in a 180 degree oven.
- Serve with caramelised onion, pate and/or cheddar cheese.