The vegetables for this recipe could be easily substituted. I would leave the mushrooms, but the asparagus can be quite expensive so you could use leek, grated carrot or zucchini, cauliflower, brocollini, baby spinach, capsicum… feel free to be generous with the amount of vegetables in the dish, the more the better!
- 375g rigatoni pasta
- 60g butter
- 600g chicken breast fillets, chopped into small chunks
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated romato cheese
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 170g asparagus, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cook pasta as per packed directions and drain when tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/3 of the butter in a pan and cook chicken until brown and cooked through.
- Heat remaining butter in the same pan, cook mushrooms, stirring, until tender. Add flour, cook for further 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in the chicken, 1/4 cup of the romano, 3/4 cup of the cheddar and the asparagus.
- Combine chicken mixture with pasta and place in a 2.5L oven proof dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook uncovered in oven for 15 minutes or until top just browns. Serve sprinkled with parsley.