I bought my waffle maker for $1 from a garage sale about 8 years ago. It has travelled with me and made many batches of delicious waffles. I think that waffles have a reputation for being hard to make, but they aren’t any different to making a batch of pancakes. I keep the cooked waffles warm in a low oven until I’m ready to place a pile on the table, with Canadian maple syrup and bacon.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk soured with the juice from half a lemon)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl with a whisk.
- Make a well and add the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Let the batter sit for about 30 minutes
- Cook in a hot waffle iron until crisp and brown.