- 5-6 slices fruit bread
- 40g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbs marmalade
- 200g blackberries
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cream
- 2 tsp raw sugar
- Remove crusts and butter bread. Brush with marmalade and layer in a 1.5L oven proof dish, sprinkling with blackberries between layers.
- Whisk together eggs, caster sugar, vanilla, milk and cream. Pour mixture over bread and sprinkle with sugar.
- Set aside for 20 minutes to allow bread to absorb liquid.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place dish in a large baking tin and fill tin with boiling water until it comes half way up the sides of the dish.
- Carefully transfer to oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until custard is set and bread is slightly puffed and golden on top.