For me to enjoy having a salad (and especially a vegetarian salad!) as a main meal, it needs to be seriously delicious. This salad was exactly that. A Mandoline slicer will be your friend so this salad a cinch to make. We demolished it in no time, so is definitely good as a meal on its own or you could serve it as a side dish if you wish. I think it would be lovely packed for a picnic to enjoy the gentle winter sun, the salad can soften in the dressing for a while no trouble!
- 1/4 head cauliflower, shaved
- 4 radishes, shaved
- 3 sticks celery, peeled and then shaved
- 1/2 an apple, cut into match sticks
- small handful almonds, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- bit less than 1/4 cup best parmesan extra virgin olive oil (I used parmesan olive oil but you can absolutely use standard EVOO but maybe add some shaved parmesan too!)
- 1 small tsp Dijon mustard
Shake ingredients together in a small jar. Taste and adjust the dressing until you have the right balance, adding a bit of salt too.
- parsley leaves
- celery leaves
- substitute radishes for small radicchio
- pear instead of apple
- smoked or roasted almonds instead of standard